“It was a pleasant cafe, warm and clean and friendly, and I hung up my old water-proof on the coat rack to dry and put my worn and weathered felt hat on the rack above the bench and ordered a cafe au lait. The waiter brought it and I took out a notebook from the pocket of the coat and a pencil and started to write"

~Ernest Hemingway~

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Topographic Map Book

Dear Bloggies:

I thought I would share with you this project that I finished last week....
I have been working on this for a while now... it is a topographic map-book of Crater Lake (in Oregon), the deepest lake in the USA. The vertical scale is the same as the horizontal scale, making it a scale model of the lake.

Cover:
Cover sheets are a thick paper. I used a Japanese stab binding with hemp string.

Page 1: 


Tan page attached to the back cover flips out to the right... 

Page 3: 
 Contours cut out of the pages and painted w/ a blue enamel paint...



Page that flips to the right... can you read it??


More views of the rest of the book: 


Deepest point...


Back page explains more about the map... 



I'm pretty happy with it!

Caroline 





3 comments:

  1. Dude. I would just like to say that this is freaking awesome. Really. Freaking awesome. I know you mentioned this idea the last time we all got together, but I didn't know that you were actually working on it! It's fantastic!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is BEAUTIFUL! I hope we can to see it in real life sometime!! Genius. (: Thanks for sharing this with us, Caroline <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both comments above. Your map is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete