“It was a pleasant cafe, warm and clean and friendly, and I hung up my old water-proof on the coat rack to dry and put my worn and weathered felt hat on the rack above the bench and ordered a cafe au lait. The waiter brought it and I took out a notebook from the pocket of the coat and a pencil and started to write"

~Ernest Hemingway~

Thursday, March 24, 2016

The Jelly Foxglove

That elation. Exhausted, hands full of paint, workspace a disaster, and a vision realized. Your imagination in material form. I've just finished a project!

 Friday night, I have tickets to see Noel Fielding's show in Chicago! Since many fans create elaborate costumes to wear to the live shows he's done (mainly The Mighty Boosh), I thought I'd create something. However, I'm not really inclined to wear a full costume... so I settled on this. It's a glove that is essentially four finger puppets in combination. It features four animated characters from the TV show Luxury Comedy on a Wizard-of-Oz-like quest to see the Jelly Fox.




They aren't my favorite characters, but the glove idea seemed perfect for the costume compromise. Here is my finished product:


And my desk space in the aftermath:
I just bought that hot glue gun, and it was the MVP of this whole project.


 Maybe given a bit more time, I might have put together a rucksack like the one Andy Warhol borrowed from Magritte...

I enjoy much of the comedy of the Mighty Boosh and Luxury Comedy, including breaks in the fourth wall, moments when seemingly improvised ideas reappear later when you least expect them, and other clever humor (Though I don't really love all of it- some is just rude humor). Noel Fielding inspires me because he often talks about the thrill of creating art, making things with your hands.


A little soundtrack:




No comments:

Post a Comment